Home

Home

Friday, July 19, 2013

Family

Amazing how life works. Here I am on the brink of returning to my home in the States, returning to my family. And all this time without realizing or meaning to, I have been creating a family here. And now I am leaving them. The irony.

Yesterday, I had the honor of attending a family temple blessing ceremony. Putu invited me to be present as she considers me family. I consider her my Balinese sister, I am her American sister. Anyway Putu was worried that the temples wouldn't be finished before I left. She wanted me to be a part of this very spiritual and beautiful ceremony. So she has been working hard these past few weeks. And it was quite elaborate. It takes time to prepare all the offerings, decorate the temples, cook the food, build the yard up, etc. So I was very excited and a little nervous.

We were there for hours, as it is an intricate process. Finally after everyone helped prepare the temples and offerings, the village priest blessed them. Next there were a series of rituals performed and finally the family was blessed. To be a part of placing the dirt, to symbolically wash the grounds and to be blessed alongside the family (sitting in our sarongs with the eight year old guiding me as to which flower to hold above my head with each prayer) was powerful.  It made me feel so special. I was happy and sad at the same time. Happy to have created this wonderful connection and sad to be leaving so soon.

Although two years does not seem that short of a time, it really is when you realize how long you have known your family. How long does it take to create new roots deep enough you consider them to be family? We often take our own family for granted. I know this. But when you are invited into a new one, it is a reminder as to how beautiful and precious family can be: the close bond, the understanding, the support, the unconditional love. It makes me appreciate all the people in my life, family and all.

I had no idea that a little over two years ago, I would be experiencing these feelings. But I now know Bali will always be a part of my life. I will return and be present with this sweet corner of the world. What a gift.

Funny that I have created this extended family across the globe. I just was missing my Nepali bai (brother) and his family the other day, realizing now it will be at least a year before I see them again. Maybe I should be careful where I travel or choose to live next. If I make it too far away from the US-Nepal-Bali track, the plane tickets are going to add up.

No comments:

Post a Comment